Wednesday, June 8, 2011

GM Divisions And Subsidiaries I Miss


As I got out of my 2011 Synergy Green Camaro SS a few days ago, I swung the door closed, and something was staring at me in the face, it was right on the door sill of my Camaro SS, the word CHEVROLET. Now I am a child of the 70s as some of you know, I wax nostalgic about things in my youth. I had an instant flashback to the door sill on my Dad’s 1972 Cadillac Coupe DeVille and the words that were on its door sill, BODY BY FISHER. I recalled how I actually missed seeing those words on GM cars. When you opened the door on any 70s models cars, Body by Fisher was there. It wasn’t just the 70s cars that had those words on the door sill, but as far as I know, 60s, 50’s and for all I know the 40s cars had it too. I’m only 42 so my history doesn’t go back to the 50s and 40s, so I am making some assumptions here. I can still see the words BODY BY FISHER on my 1969 Pontiac Custom-S when I miss seeing the Fisher coach on the door sill of my 2011 Camaro SS.




But this got me thinking about what other things I miss about GM that are not around anymore. I will give you my short list and perhaps that will jog your memory and you can let me know what you miss about GM that is no more. So here goes, here are the GM divisions and subsidiaries that are no longer around and I miss them. They are in no particular order.



1. Fisher Body
2. Electronic Data Systems Corporation (EDS)
3. Pontiac Motor Division (PMD)
4. General Motors Assembly Division (GMAD)
5. Delco Electronics Corporation
6. Hughes Electronics Corporation
7. Delphi (Auto Parts)
8. Detroit Diesel
9. Electro-Motive Diesel (EMD) Train Engines

So that’s my short list, let me know what you miss about GM.

No comments:

Post a Comment